There are a number of MP3 players that swimmers can buy that allow them to listen to music, the radio or podcasts while they swim. This is good, particularly in anticipation of mind-numbingly boring 3-4 hour stints in the water.
Of course, I’d love for the manufacturers to make a much larger drive (ie. 1 GB is never enough), but until they do, I’ll have to change the player on a daily basis just to get some variety.
Over the coming weeks, I’ll add to this page and list some of my favourite tunes, be they for pace, special interest, from specific performers or all three.
One of the more special musical efforts that have provided a lot of inspiration for this challenge are the folks with Swim Drink Music.
That said, here are some other favourites, in no particular order:
Almost anything by:
- The Great Lakes Swimmers (Pulling on a Line or Palmistry or Everything is Moving So Fast)
- Radiohead (Blackstar, Little by Little, Reckoner, National Anthem)
- Oasis (Songbird, Wonderwall)
- Coldplay (The Hardest Part, Green Eyes)
- Arcade Fire (Ready to Start)
- The Acorn (Crooked Legs, Hold Your Breath, Low Gravity, Antenna, Heirlooms, Brokered Heart)
- Primal Scream (Higher than the Sun, City, Rise)
Take You on a Cruise, Interpol
More Then This, Peter Gabriel
Don’t Stop Now, Crowded House
Across the Universe, John Lennon
Sea Legs, the Shins
Forever, the Charlatans
Of course, my biases show. What are some songs or media that I should listen to while doing the swim? Is there something particularly engaging that you think I should tackle?